Studying is a huge experience by itself, enriching the mind and broadening horizons with your chosen subject and all the added extras that come with high education, but doing that in a different country? That’s huge and life-changing. From the many countries you can study in, Canada is a hugely popular choice. It’s really not hard to see why. Universities in Canada offer world-class education, with 12 Canadian universities ranked in the Times Higher Education Supplement Top 200. Studying in Canada has many other benefits too: affordable tuition fees, the opportunity to work while you study and for a year after you graduate, and a great lifestyle in a beautiful and diverse country.

Why Study in Canada?

The UN ranked Canada as one of the best places to live in the world – thanks to its education system, national income and quality of life. Studying courses in Canada could also help you learn a new language – or two – as Canada has two official languages, English and French. Your choice to study abroad in Canada could be based on many factors, however the main advantages are obvious. Universities in Canada offer a proven top-class education, with no less than 12 Canadian Universities making into the Times Higher Education Supplement Top 200. Think how many universities there are in the world to put that into perspective.

You have plenty to choose from, such as Concordia University, McGill University, McMaster University, Queen’s University, Universite de Montreal, University of Alberta, University of British Columbia, University of Calgary, University of Toronto, University of Waterloo, University of Western Ontario and York University. It’s not all about league tables and awards, studying in Canada will bring many other benefits, such as an active and varied lifestyle in a beautiful country, the opportunity to work, great health care benefits, friendly locals and low tuition fees. Many study activities will lead to opportunities to make new friends, experience new landscapes and learn new skills. With each changing season a new activity comes forward, such as walking during spring and fall, sailing and summer festivals during, obviously summer, and hiking, skiing and sledging in winter. Keep fit, make new friends, learn new skills and major in your chosen subject – what more could you want?Study in Canada does come with the added perk of allowing you to work part-time during your studies, which will come in extremely handy not only extracash-wise, but also to add all-important skills and experience to your CV. You are also able to work for a year after you graduate. You generally won’t need a work permit if you have a valid study permit, which being an international student you should have, but do check this out depending on the job you choose.

About Canada

Canada is a huge and diverse country. Geographically, you should know this, but it sits in above the USA, making it perfect for exploring a little further. Canada itself is full of famous tourist attractions, such as the powerful Niagara Falls, the huge CN Tower, Toronto Zoo, the beautiful Glacier National Park, the equally gorgeous Banff National Park, and the imposing Canadian Rockies, to name a few. The huge blinding cities of Quebec, Montreal and Toronto offer everything you could possibly want from life, with city life running seamlessly into nature. It’s beautiful. With a huge range of landscapes, from massive mountains, to green vegetation, to snowcapped hills, to bustling metropolis, the choice is endless. Of course, the Rockies are famous the world over.

Canada has two official languages – French and English, so study in Canada is the perfect opportunity to add another language to your repertoire, which is vital in the business world and a huge advantage. And with two national languages, universities in Canada are experts in language studies.

Test needed to study in Canada

Many Courses and Universities in Canada require you to take one of the standardized tests like MELAB ,CAEL along with English Proficiency tests like TOEFL, PTE and IELTS.

Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)

TOEFL scores are accepted for both admission and visa procurement. It is one of the most accepted and most respected tests among universities, agencies and other institutions all around the world. TOEFL test content is 100% academic. The TOEFL iBTTM is given 30-40 times a year, at thousands of secure, Internet-based test sites around the globe. Whereas, the TOEFL Paper-based Test (or TOEFL PBT) is offered in areas where the internet based test is not available. It is given 6 times a year.

International English Language Testing System (IELTS)

IELTS is accepted by Study and Immigration Canada (CIC) as evidence of English language proficiency. If you are applying for a work visa, professional registration or for permanent residence in Canada, it is likely that you will be required to present your test result as part of your application. IELTS results are also accepted for Canadian citizenship.

The Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB)

MELAB test scores are accepted by colleges and universities throughout the US, Canada and the UK just to name a few. It is a test of your English proficiency level and measures your reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills. The test is offered at test centres all over the US and Canada every other month and is open for anyone who is a non-native speaker applying for an American, Canadian or British university or just want to obtain a general assessment of their Énglish language skills.

The Canadian Academic English Language Assessment (CAEL)

CAEL is a standardized test of English designed to describe the level of English of test takers planning to study in an English-medium college or university, or to apply for membership in a number of professional associations. It offers a unique alternative to other standardized tests of English because it is an integrated, task-based test on one topic.


PTE Academic is accepted for study at a range of institutions in Canada. You can take your test at one of our center’s in Canada, or at one of our locations overseas, to send your scores to your chosen institution. PTE Academic typically delivers results in five days, so you don't need to worry about your English scores.


Universities of Alberta

Post-secondary education in Alberta is regulated by the Ministry of Enterprise and Advanced Education. There are six public universities in Alberta, eleven public colleges, two polytechnical institutes (which grant degrees), and seven private colleges (all of which grant degrees). Most private universities refer to themselves as "university colleges", and they grant equivalent degrees. Edmonton, the province's capital city, is home to the University of Alberta, the province's oldest and largest university, and Grant MacEwan University. There are also universities in Calgary: University of Calgary and Mount Royal University. The University of Lethbridge is based out of Lethbridge but also has campuses in Edmonton and Calgary.

Universities of British Columbia

There are eleven public universities and five private universities in British Columbia. Eight of these universities – Capilano University, Emily Carr University of Art and Design, Fairleigh Dickinson University, Kwantlen Polytechnic University, Trinity Western University, Simon Fraser University, and the University of British Columbia – are in the Metro Vancouver region, the most populated region of British Columbia (with the exception of the University of British Columbia Okanagan - the major UBC campus located in the Okanagan Valley), and four of them – Vancouver Island University, Royal Roads University, the University of Victoria, and the University Canada West – are on Vancouver Island. The University of Northern British Columbia houses a main campus in Prince George, with regional campuses in Quesnel, Terrace and Fort St. John. Three public universities, Capilano University, University of the Fraser Valley and Kwantlen Polytechnic University, and one private university, Quest University, are primarily undergraduate institutions.

Universities of Manitoba

There are seven universities in Manitoba, which are under the responsibility of the Ministry of Advanced Education and Literacy. Five of these universities—Booth University College, Canadian Mennonite University, the University of Manitoba, the University of Winnipeg, and the Université de Saint-Boniface—are in Winnipeg, the capital and largest city in the province. The Université de Saint-Boniface, established in 1818, is the oldest university in the province and is the only French language university in western Canada. Booth University College, formed in 1982, is one of the newest. In northern Manitoba, the University College of the North serves the communities of The Pas and Thompson. Smaller satellite campuses serve the communities of Swan River and Flin Flon. University enrolment in Manitoba ranges from Booth University College with several hundred students to the University of Manitoba with 26,800 students. Brandon University is located in the Western-Manitoba city of Brandon, Manitoba.

Universities of New Brunswick

There are eight chartered universities in New Brunswick; four public universities, governed by the Ministry of Post-Secondary Education, Training and Labour, and four private institutions including an online university, Yorkville University. New Brunswick holds the distinctions of having the first English-language university in Canada and the first public university in North America, (the University of New Brunswick); and also the first university in the British Empire to have award a bachelor's degree to a woman, (Mount Allison University) in 1875. St. Thomas University and University of New Brunswick have campuses in the province's capital of Fredericton and UNB also maintains a campus in Saint John. St. Thomas University is the only public university in the province that does not offer graduate-level programs. Established in 1785, the University of New Brunswick is the oldest public in the province, and the Université de Moncton is the newest, formed in 1963.

Newfoundland and Labrador

The Degree Granting Act of Newfoundland and Labrador regulates degree-granting universities in the province. The only university in Newfoundland and Labrador, Memorial University of Newfoundland, has campuses in two cities, in St. John's, the capital of Newfoundland and Labrador, and on the west coast of the province, in Corner Brook. With 18,172 enrolled students, it is the largest university in Atlantic Canada.

Universities of Nova Scotia

There are 10 universities in Nova Scotia. Six of these – the Atlantic School of Theology, Dalhousie University, Mount Saint Vincent University, the NSCAD University, Saint Mary's University, and the University of King's College – are located in the Halifax Regional Municipality, which is the capital of Nova Scotia and the largest urban area in Atlantic Canada. The oldest university in the province is the University of King's College, established in 1789, and the newest is Cape Breton University, established in 1974. University student enrolment in Nova Scotia ranges from 125 students at the Atlantic School of Theology to more than 18,000 at Dalhousie University.

Universities of Ontario

There are 21 publicly funded universities in the Canadian province of Ontario that are post-secondary education institutions with degree-granting authority. There are also 17 privately funded, religious universities. Each of these institutions were either established through an Act of the Legislative Assembly or through a Royal Charter. With the exception of Royal Military College of Canada, students apply to public universities in Ontario through the Ontario Universities' Application Centre. The oldest university, the University of Toronto, was established in 1827, and the newest university, Algoma University, was established in 2008. The largest university in terms of enrolment is the University of Toronto, which has campuses in three locations: St. George Campus (the university's main campus), Scarborough Campus, and Mississauga Campus. The U15 Group of Canadian Research Universities is headquarted in Ottawa, ON.

Universities of Saskatchewan

There are three universities in Saskatchewan.The Government of Saskatchewan must establish statutes individually to degree-granting universities; these statutes outline the authority of each institution, their regulations, and bylaws. The First Nations University of Canada and the University of Regina are both in Regina, the province's capital, and the University of Saskatchewan is in Saskatoon, the most populous city in Saskatchewan. The University of Saskatchewan is the oldest university in the province, founded in 1907, and the First Nations University of Canada is the newest, established in 1976. The University of Saskatchewan is also the largest university in Saskatchewan with 18,620 students, and the First Nations University of Canada (FNUC) is the smallest with 840 students. The First Nations University is the only Canadian university that caters to the needs of First Nations students

Prince Edward Island

There is one university in Prince Edward Island that is authorized to grant degrees.[13] Higher education in the province falls under the jurisdiction of the Higher Education and Corporate Services Branch within the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development. The only university in the province, the University of Prince Edward Island, is in the province's capital of Charlottetown. The institution resulted from an amalgamation of Prince of Wales College, a former university college founded in 1834, and Saint Dunstan's University, founded in 1855.

Study and living costs

Compared to many countries, the cost of studying in Canada is very affordable. As a guide, you will likely need between $15,000 Cdn and $30,000 Cdn annually to cover tuition and living expenses. However, this cost range is an average only and will vary according to the institution and program in which you are enrolled, your location, and living choices.

Tuition and Fees

Tuition fees for international students vary across provinces and programs. The table below shows the weighted average tuition fees for full-time foreign students, by field of study. Remember, however, that the costs associated with attending university go beyond tuition fees. You must also budget for items such as books, personal living expenses, and housing. Undergraduate fees $14,600 ,Graduate fees $12,742.However Visual and performing arts, and communications technologies Undergraduate fees $17,530 and Graduate students fees $12,152.

Living Costs

Most universities offer on-campus residences designated for international students, or residences generally available to all students on campus. However, acceptance at a Canadian school does not automatically mean you can get a room in residence. Students must apply separately for on-campus housing. The cost of on-campus housing varies across institutions and will depend on whether or not you want a private room or meal plan, for example .Some international students choose to live off-campus in an apartment or flat. Rent for an apartment in Canada can range from approximately $400 Cdn to $1,500 Cdn per month depending on the city or neighborhood and the type of accommodation. As a renter, you may also need to pay additional monthly costs for utilities, such as electricity, home phone, Internet and cable television, as well as personal expenses and renters’ insurance.

Student visa process